Thursday, April 15, 2010


BEDA: April 15, 2009

As a lot of you know, today is RockstarRaquel's birthday and I posted my video to her early this morning.

Needless to say, she pretty much loved it.

While on the phone, she watched it four and a half times, constantly saying how great it was. It made me smile. But anyway, that's not what I wanted to type about today. I wanted to talk about what almost happened to prevent that video from being created.

On April 13th, I had most of the lines written and I even shot myself singing in order to create the mp3 track to build onto the next day. Things really didn't go as planned when Angela dropped me off at the tech lab to edit and I found out that there was a class going on until 10:30pm that night.

I didn't get anything done that night.

The next day, yesterday, April 14th, I woke-up went to class, and re-shot the audio. Then, after some errands, I shot some more scenes but then the sun started setting. The light that I was using was turning golden and there was a lot of shading in the area causing drastic differences in lighting. Aside from that, my computer kept telling me that the Local Area Connection was unplugged even though I wasn't touching the cable.

I was rather upset.

So then, around 7:00pm, I have the shots done, and I was on my way to go edit. Things were going swimmingly and I was so close to finishing the video when I got a phone call around 10:30pm. My apartment-mate needed the key to get into the apartment and the key was in my pocket because I locked the door behind me on my way out. My obvious solution? Run the key back to the apartment and then run back to the lab.

I totally didn't think this through.

Apart from leaving my video camera next to the computer I was at, I didn't save anything I was working on. Halfway back to the apartment, I remembered that the computers log off when idle for ten minutes. Log off. Seriously, log off. If that happened, I'd lose everything I was working on for the past three hours.

I ran.

The thing about my apartment is that it's about a half of a mile away from the tech building. I started running faster. I got back to the apartment and checked my phone. It had taken me five minutes to run there and I only had five minutes to get back to the lab before my computer before it logged off.

I flew.

I didn't care that my sides were burning. I didn't care that I hadn't ran this much in years. All I knew was that I lacked the time, patience, and energy to re-create the almost-completed video. That just made me run faster.

I burst into the lab (well, I mean, I didn't make any noise, it just sounded cooler saying 'burst into the lab') and got to my computer as fast as I could. The countdown on the computer read that it was about to log off unless I clicked a button in the next twelve seconds.

I clicked the button.

Then I walked back into the lobby and collapsed in a chair. I had made it. My stupid solution had paid off and I made it back to the computer without losing a scratch of work. Yea, I was pretty proud of myself.

Moral of the story? Leave your apartments unlocked at all times.
...or something.


  1. You write well. I could imagine it exactly as you wrote it. :)

  2. Wow, that's a lot (not ALOT :P ) of work (and running) for one video. It must have meant a lot to you!

  3. An awful lot of running to do-ooo-ooo-ooo!

    That is CRAZY TALK. Glad you got back to the computer in time!