Sunday, April 4, 2010

Happy Easter: Don't Be Sexist

BEDA: April 4, 2010

Easter is the central religions feast in the Christian liturgical year. According to Christian scripture, Jesus was resurrected from the dead on the third day after his crucifixion. According to American scripture, a large bunny comes around laying eggs filled with candy and hiding them. In turn, children of the neighborhood are forced to work for their sugary goodness.

Pfsh, how 'American' is that? Working for their sugary goodness and all.

Easter is, of course, celebrated in America by spending time with one's family and eating an inordinate amount of food. I'm sure other countries do other things on this holiday but frankly, I'm too full to get into all of that.

My family went to my grandmother's house today. I ate a lot. Not as much as when I eat there at Christmas, but still, a lot. There was a very wide spread of chicken, turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, yam, casserole, corn, and a lot of other stuff that made its way to my tummy. It was all a very standard Easter at gma's house until my sister and I were asked to hide plastic eggs for the youngins.

Now, I have never participated in an Easter egg hunt that wasn't purely against my younger brother, who is five years younger than me, and younger sister, who is eight years younger than me. It was never much of a challenge. I would beat them within minutes. I knew all of the hiding spots. It's no fault of theirs, I was just much more adept to my environment. Also, I was the only Ohio kid in my family around my age so they never opted to have an Easter egg hunt while the family was together until there were more younger kids to play. Obviously, now, I was too old to beat them at an Easter egg hunt.

So me, being able to hide the eggs was kind of a big deal.

In short, it was fun. The kids ranged from age 7-11 so I hid the eggs with all layers of difficulty. and the kids were finding eggs pretty consistently for about twenty minutes. It never got boring.

My aunt wanted the only girl (my second cousin) to have a head start. I called my aunt sexist. I told her that women have been fighting for too long in this country to gain the same equal rights as men and that I wasn't going to let her take that away from someone in my family.

She laughed.

I was serious.

Hope you all had a happy Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment