Saturday, November 13, 2010

The Internet was Invented Today

Twenty years ago to the day, the Internet, as we know it, culminated.

The first web browser, WorldWideWeb, was developed by Tim Berners-Lee, and it was, IMHO, the biggest leap forward in communication and technology this century. And it only happened twenty years ago.

Before 1990, there was no available HTTP or HTML to use and there was no such thing as a Web browser. In 1990, TB-L created the HTTP and HTML needed and the very first WorldWideWeb Web browser, not to mention the first few Web pages which described the project.

It's just odd for me to think about because I'm older than 20, and although I remember the popularity boom of the Internet, I don't remember a time when a computer wasn't a big part of my life. Back in the 90s, I was hooked on my dad's computer games. I often played a Star Trek RPG video game which was loaded from DOS. And even though I was never the biggest Star Trek fan, I spent a lot of time playing it.

Then I remember updating to Windows 95.

Then came dial-up, which, by no stretch of the imagination, was anything to really blog about nowadays.

But then everything exploded in the DotCom Boom of the late 90s.

People were able to create websites with very, very low starting rates and the Internet welcomed a surge of destinations.

So think about that today, as you browse this wonderful WorldWideWeb-based technology. Because without it, we probably wouldn't be as close as we are, even if we are thousands of miles apart.

Be my NaNo buddy!
YouTube
Twitter






No comments:

Post a Comment