Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Thing (2011) - A Review

 Don't worry. No spoilers.

Here's the trailer for anyone who hasn't seen it.
      


      So, I just got home from seeing "The Thing" and I have to say, I really enjoyed it. The preview makes it look like any other jump-out-at-you scary movie, and it definitely had that creepy vibe where some poor soul is walking around possibly about to be attacked and then RAWR. But aside from that, it also had a creepy psychological feel. You, as a viewer, are making your brain go overtime trying to figure out ways to decide who is who. And it's not always easy-going. There are so many twists and turns in this movie, it's very edge-of-your-seat.
      I heard from a lot of people before going in that the CGI isn't really that great, but considering what they were doing, from tearing people in half to making an alien swallow a human, they did pretty well. There were only a few scenes with obviously digitized computer graphics.
      I really liked how they didn't have any huge A list actors in this movie but that's my own personal preference. When I see an A lister in a scary movie, it takes away from the feeling of the movie and keeps me from feeling emotionally attached to the characters. Although, I did turn to my friend at the beginning and say, "Woah, is that Mr. Eko?" It was.
      For a prequel, it did an incredible job of setting up for the next movie. The last scene in this movie is actually the first scene for the original so the transition is rather seamless. 

I'd give it a solid 8/10.

I am curious as to why an Arctic science research station has all these flamethrowers laying around...

1 comment:

  1. I really didn't like it.

    I felt the psychological aspects just didn't work because I didn't care about the characters. Ok, by the end I was on board with Kate and her awesomeness and Lars definitely didn't suck but I was all: somebody's gonna die and its going to be gruesome. Now someone else is going to die. Oh well.

    I share your opinion on the CGI. Nit groundbreaking but effective.

    Why didn't the flame throwers run out of gas?

    And the ending? [Redacted spoilers] Though I liked how it ended where the 1980s version starts but that's mostly because I saw the 80s version a bunch of times with my dad as a young teen.

    From a culture critic standpoint I loved that the main character was female without ever being made into a sex object.

    I would have said 5/10 - not horrible but I wouldn't choose to watch it again.

    And I've just co-opted your blog with my own review, sorry about that. It was on my mind when I followed the twitter link so here's all my thoughts: blargh.

    ReplyDelete